Monday, August 15, 2016

Know Your Enemy ~ Zucchini

I'm willing to acknowledge that I may have made some errors in judgment. But in my defense, the zucchini didn't grow well last year. Zucchini ~ the one vegetable so prolific that people play ding dong ditch with it. And I couldn't grow it. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe it was the soil. Maybe there was too much shade & not enough sun. Maybe it was just my black thumb. I changed what I could, choosing a different spot to plant & using a combination of hugelkultur, lasagna gardening, & raised beds to improve the soil. And this is where I made my first mistake. I planted the entire packet of seeds and every single one germinated. Cute little seedlings, looking so innocent, working so hard to grow ~ and this is where I made my second error ~ I couldn't bear to cull any of them.  And then they grew. And grew. And grew. They started putting out big beautiful orange-yellow flowers, calling all the bees to the yard. Next thing you know, there's little tiny zucchini fetuses everywhere. And they grew...

                                                                         
Pure Evil



I harvested my first zucchini 10 days ago. I've made zucchini fritters. I've made zucchini bread. I've shredded & put 16 quarts in the freezer. I've even managed to palm a few off on other people. I've 7 more waiting on the table, waiting for me to do something with them. There's more, waiting, waiting, waiting, still growing.  Even the chickens are tired of zucchini bits


Zeus & His Golden Harem  "That had better not be zucchini, Human"

No comments:

Post a Comment